Contact us today to book an appointment for any of our veterinary services.
Spaying & Neutering
One of the responsibilities of a pet owner is to get your pet spayed or neutered. Nith Valley Animal Hospital offers cat and dog spaying (for females) and neutering (for males) in a sterile, hygienic environment. The procedure comes with many health benefits for your dog or cat and reduces the population of unwanted pets, saving animals from being euthanized due to overpopulation.
Spaying or neutering is a surgical procedure in which the testicles in male animals and ovaries in female animals are removed to prevent breeding. This minimally invasive intervention also stops the production of certain hormones associated with sexuality and hormonal behaviour.
Benefits of Spaying
- Prevents your pet from being agitated by the difficulty of a heat cycle
- Less prone to behavioural issues caused by hormones.
- Roaming is minimized
- Spaying reduces the risks of pyometra (a fatal uterine infection that occurs after the first heat cycle), uterine cancer, and mammary tumours and cancer
- Spaying dissolves the risks associated with pregnancy, such as abortion, malnutrition, infection, and surgical intervention
Benefits of Neutering
- Male dogs and cats will generally not mark their territories by urinating
- Roaming is minimized
- There is less alpha-male aggression and fighting with other males
- The population is kept under control when reproduction becomes impossible
- The risk of testicular tumours is eliminated, and the risk of prostate infections is minimized
- It reduces inappropriate mounting behaviour
When Should a Pet be Spayed or Neutered?
Typically, your pet should be at least 6 months old before they can be brought in for spaying/neutering. This ensures that they are old and strong enough to bear the effects of anesthesia. This animal surgery is recommended before your pet’s first heat cycle so that the risks associated with non-spaying and non-neutering can be reduced by a greater percentage. Waiting 6 months also ensures that all their baby teeth have been replaced by adult teeth. Dogs of larger breeds are usually spayed or neutered later than those of small breeds because their growth rate is slower.
Book an appointment with our certified vet doctor at our animal hospital in New Hamburg, Ontario, today. We can help you determine what is the best time to neuter or spay your pet based on his/her breed and growth rate.
Is the Procedure Expensive?
The procedure’s cost differs from one pet to another. Our experts will examine your pet’s age, weight, overall health, and status of pet vaccinations. We make it a priority to ensure that your experience at our vet clinic is smooth and satisfactory. All our animal surgery procedures are carried out using aseptic techniques and up-to-date equipment. We only take in a limited number of animal patients per day to ensure undivided attention.
Book an appointment now for safe and affordable spaying and neutering experience for your pet. You can call us at our clinic to book a consultation to discuss what’s best for your furry friend.