The holiday season is indeed an exciting time of the year. It is a long celebration where family and friends gather and share delicious food, gifts, and memories. However, many people do not realize that specific hazards might put their beloved pets in danger during this season.
As a pet parent, it is your responsibility to know about these dangers and avoid them at all costs. Remember, pets are also part of your family, and they should also enjoy the holiday season in the best and safest way possible.
Holiday Pet Hazards
Here’s a list of holiday pet hazards that you should be aware of:
A Christmas tree is one of the most essential and common decorations in every household during the holiday season. However, if you have a real pine tree and your pets happen to ingest some of it, it can cause lethargy, posterior weakness, diarrhea, and even vomiting.
Even if you have an artificial Christmas tree, it can still cause danger to your pets. Most of these trees are made out of plastic, and this can also cause an intestinal blockage, which will prevent them from passing food and water in their digestive tract. When this happens, it can be quite excruciating and uncomfortable for your pets.
Also, the decorations on the Christmas tree can be considered as pet hazards. Some examples of these are tinsel and ornaments, which can cause choking and other stomach issues when ingested.
To make your Christmas tree safer for your pets, make sure that your ornaments around it are not reachable to them. If possible, put a decorative fence around the tree to keep your pets away from it.
Gift Wrappers & Ribbons
Some pets (mostly dogs) love the sound of tearing paper, which is why it is understandable that leftover gift wrappers & ribbons might be very tempting for them. Wrappers and ribbons that are made of paper can cause intestinal blockage. However, if the wrapper and ribbon are foil or plastic, your pets may experience toxicity on top of intestinal blockages.
In case your pet ingested gift wrappers & ribbons, it is best to contact your closest animal hospital immediately. They can help you figure out whether your pet should directly go to an animal hospital for treatment or not.
The holiday season is when the word diet is lost in the vocabulary of many; delicious dishes and treats are challenging to avoid. However, it is essential to remember that many of the dishes and treats contain harmful ingredients for pets, such as nuts, grease, and chocolate. These can cause severe toxicity to your beloved pets and can even be fatal in some cases.
According to veterinarians, you should not give pets chocolate at all. Chocolate consumption by pets can cause diarrhea, seizures, heart arrhythmias, and vomiting.
It is also not a good idea to feed your pets human food, especially when they contain bones and fat trimmings.
Lastly, you should pay attention to the holiday plants you will display inside and outside your home. Some of it can be quite toxic for your pets, especially when it’s ingested, even if it’s only in a small amount.
Some examples of holiday plants that can be toxic to your pets are mistletoes and holly. Poinsettia is also said to be a dangerous plant for pets. It is best to keep these plants away from pets to save them from feeling uncomfortable and suffering.
It is crucial to take extra precautions against holiday pet hazards, or your pet may end up at the veterinary clinic. The first step to this is knowing the different holiday pet hazards mentioned above already, so kudos to you as a pet parent. What you should do next is to be vigilant and alert against these hazards and keep your pet safe and happy all the way.